Saturday, September 29, 2018

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter V Album Review

(I GOT THIS MAFUCKA, YA'LL!)

Ya'll remember me? Probably not. That's cool though, I'm back anyway and even though I've said this a lot, I'm probably sticking around for awhile this time. (probably? You sound really committed, big guy) Hey! Fuck you, parentheses guy! 

Anyway, before I was rudely interrupted, I was going to mention I'm here to review Lil Wayne's new album. Now there's history here, ladies and gentlemen. Wayne went through a lot to get to this point and it shows in his work. He went through a huge case with his Baby Daddy...I mean Daddy Baby...wait, is Baby his daddy? I forget. I think he adopted him or something, I don't know...anyway, that doesn't matter. Let's continue. 

Back on June 6th, 2018 Wayne won his case with Cash Money, which the aforementioned Baby runs, for over 10 million dollars. Me personally, I think he should've gotten more, but that's neither here nor there. Homie got his money, so congratulations on finally finding an end to a process that lasted way too long. 

And just like that, everyone was hyped up for Tha Carter V(Did you seriously just start a paragraph AND sentence with a conjunction?) And didn't I say fuck you, parentheses guy? 😏

Fast forward to months later, a delay, a release date that had everyone waiting all day for it, only for it to drop the next day....we are HERE. 

Now, I'm going to be honest with ya'll before we go deep into this review; I'm not a huge Lil Wayne fan. I never have been. It's not that I dont like him, I've just always felt he was one of the most overrated rappers ever. Needless to mention, you can see the effects his style has had on rap today. Ironically enough, that's a reason I actually respect him too though. His run from '06-'12 was truly unmatchable by many rappers. And the inspiration he has had is huge. (Okay, you've been WAY TOO positive about him, time to go back to hating). You right. 

The problem is, Wayne has only been gifted in the punchline area and hooks. If you ever listen to what Wayne is actually saying, there really isn't much there. Like seriously, the only people who are impressed with the "real g's move in silence like lasagna" are people who don't know the difference between there/their/they're. (You talk a lot of shit for a guy who can't use punctuation properly.) FUCK YOU, PARENTHESES GUY!!!! Like I said, I don't hate Lil Wayne, in fact, I respect him, but I just think he's overall a decent rapper. I'll take Jadakiss', Fabolous', Lloyd Banks', etc. punchlines over his any day. But that doesn't mean I dont listen to him. If you look at my long since abandoned iPods, you'll notice I have a ton of his music in there. For some reason people just connected me not liking him as much as them, to me hating his music overall. That's not true though, big guy, I promise. I just don't think he's the best rapper alive, that's all. But that's a good thing, because I was able to approach this album with an open mind and low expectations. I've been seeing a lot of hate for this album already. There is a TON of  people saying they "expected more" from it, but this is also coming from the same people who were those who were spitting on you ten years ago if you didn't think he was the blessing from God he isn't. So, maybe naturally, their expectations were too high? I'm here to find out for myself. Let's do this!


Without further ado, Eazy's T&O is back! 








1. I Love You Dwayne - So this is just an emotional and supportive phone message his mother left him. It's kind of hard to have a negative or positive comment about this. Let's move on. 

2. Don't Cry ft./ XXXTENTACION - Okay, so the last thing I'm going to do is get into the things  XXX was into before he passed, but I will say this: I wasn't a fan of him. That doesn't mean I wanted dude to pass away at such a young age, without a chance to change. At the end of the day, I will say R.I.P. to him and we will move on to my specific thoughts on the song. 



It's really sad to say this, but I feel like someone else would've worked better on this track with Wayne, because X's voice just isnt there for this type of track, yet it works for the sad mood it portrays, ironically. As for Wayne, I actually enjoyed what he said on this. The song is essentially about the hardships in his life. The other thing that really hits this song home is X has mentioned Lil Wayne is a huge inspiration for him and it's a nice touch to have a song to pay his respects.

Overall, I don't hate it. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll listen to it again though. 

3. Dedicate - So, the theme of the inspiration he has had on the industry continues here. However, this is more so a show-offy way of talking about it, instead of a humble way. I mean, he even used a 2 Chainz song about him lol. At the end of the song, he uses a quote from Barack Obama talking about him as well to show the effect he's had on the game in general, even the president was talking about him. Not gonna lie, this is when I started to peep some subtle shots at Birdman as well though. Like, it's almost like he's reminding him, he's the reason he is as popular as he is. He made himself, not Birdman. I cant hate him for that and it does help that I dig the song.

4. Uproar - The people cheer for Weezy because Im greatness continues in this song. This is a sort of warning shot to his opposition and samples Special Delivery by G. Dep. I enjoy it, but I'm not really impressed by it as a whole. Meh. 

5. Let It Fly ft./ Travis Scott - I have to admit it now. I fuck with Travis Scott heavy, bruh. Like, don't get it twisted, he aint gifted lyrically or anything, but he has a dope sound that I can vibe to. That being said, it's changed over the years, but this song reminds me of when I first started to listen to him, back in 2012. Not too much, like this isn't Lights(Love Sick) or 16 Chapels level, but it's definitely dope. Oh yeah...this is a Lil Wayne song....ya'll can honestly skip this shit after Travis' part ends, because you're probably going to hear Wayne's verse spit by the rich white kids spitting it to each other on the way to school a million times anyway, my G. If you're old enough to be out of school though, you should be listening to something else with your time anyway. Ironically enough though, it has replay value because of Scott's part alone.

6. Can't Be Broken - Okay, I love this track and it's easily my favorite so far. It gives me a sad "Something You Forgot" feel and it's been a feeling I've been missing BECAUSE FUCKING SPOTIFY DOESN'T HAVE IT ON THERE SERVICE FOR SOME DAMN REASON!!!!! (Whoa dude, are you good? Sheesh, just look it up on YouTube, calm down...) My bad, you right. Listen, the song still has all the problems I feel this song has at a lot of points and some common issues Wayne has always had. His flow is really weird and there are punchlines where there don't really need to be there, but overall it just helps to actually like the song. 

It's about his haters and his bros and how nothing will break him down and I dig it. If there's a song so far, that I'll replay fully, it's this one. 

7. Dark Side of the Moon - Ladies and gentlemen, I've been waiting. And if you've read my work in the past, I'm sure you've been waiting as well. What is it you ask? It's for that point where Eazy goes hard on something unnecessarily and trash it to hell and back. IT. IS. TIME. 
This is the song you flick the lighter to, Weezy? Really? Like, do you know what people expect when they hear that flick? They expect dope shit! Me? I dont give a fuck, but I'm mad for them. This shit might've been really fucking hot in 2012, when the world was supposed to end in December, but coming out in 2018 just makes me wish we all did die back then. Or at least we all just went deaf and didn't have to fucking hurt our ears with this bullshit. 

Okay, it's not that bad...I'd honestly probably listen to it again. 

It still sounds like some shit an emo couple that's only been together for three days would write to each other in a love letter though. 

8. Mona Lisa ft./ Kendrick Lamar - WHAAAAAAT AWWW SHIIIIIT?!??!? (what the fuck is your problem now?) K. DOT!!!!! (okay...) KENDRICK!!! (yeah???) KUNG FU KENNY!! (yes, that's him) BRUHHH!!!! (listen, I think they get that you're a Kendrick fan by now, fam) LISTEN!?!!?? Fuck that WE HEARING THIS SHIT LOUDER THAN ALL THE OTHER SONGS!!! (Dear Reader, dont mind him, he's about to fanboy... *facepalms*)

OKAY check this, my G. I'm gonna be honest with you. If you don't like this song at first, I don't blame you. And I hate THAT guy, but I am about to be THAT guy, because....LISTEN TO THIS SONG for real, because it's a dope ass story. Yes, the voices of both Kendrick and Wayne aren't exactly what you want to be seen listening to, without people looking at you funny, while you're riding through a neighborhood or anything, but it's because there's a performance to it, you know? (Yeah, I know, but you know how much of a hypocrite you're making yourself look right now, right?)

Yeah, but give me a chance to explain. So, the whole reference of Mona Lisa's smile isn't exactly brand new or anything, I get that. But that doesn't mean I still dont like how this song is dope for being about an evil female who sets her man up to be robbed. AND AND AND It's just sooooo GOOD. Like, I absolutely hate the idea of a song being about getting a woman to cheat on her man or a woman being a cheater in general, but when it's done in a creative way like this, I can get behind it. (Pause)

God...I really am a hypocrite aren't I? I'm really ashamed of myself right now...can we move on? (Please do...)

*goes and cuts down a tree with his barehands and comes back* 

9. What About Me ft./ Sosamann - Alright, now that I'm feeling manly again. What the fuck is this pathetic shit?  And if Young Jeezy and Ty Dolla $ign's love child that grew up and did the fusion dance with Offset doesn't get the fuck up outta here with that pointless bullshit he calls a verse. 

Ya'll remember the emo couple from Dark Side of the Moon? Well, this is the song the boy makes about her after she breaks up with him on the fourth day, for some other guy and he isn't taking it well. 

This shit sounds like Wayne was looking for one insecure ass bitch song and Aubs came through with some leftover Side B Scorpion shit that didn't make the cut like, "here Weezy, let me help you out, fam." And Wayne thanks him and Drizzy bows and says "YU DUN KNOW" then poof and disappears into the sunset, on a magic flying carpet, with that same young emo girl who just broke up with her boyfriend. 

Fuck outta here, Wayne. 

10. Open Letter - Okay, so this is a step in the right direction, and it's kinda funny, because it starts off with Wayne talking about how he feels like shit sometimes and I'm over here like, bruh listen.....we know, we listened to the last song, fam. Overall, I have nothing assholish to say either, I even support the lighter flicking being used for this over the last song, for sure. 

11. Famous ft./ Reginae Carter - If What About Me was the Side B Scorpion leftover lyrics that Wayne borrowed, Famous is the Side A Scorpion leftovers. Because "You can't spell fame without me" is definitely something women who write "men aint shit" on facebook and post "living my best life" in their IG story, while this is playing in the background, on their way to Target. 

Although, I'm not going to lie... I laughed at him saying "kiss my mafuckin ass" at the end.

12. Problems - If you want to hear a rapper WAY after his prime has left him, start to try and sound a bit like the same rappers he himself inspired in the first place, listen to this song. Otherwise, skip this shit. 



PHEW...sheesh...man, there cant really be much left of this album. Let me see how much we have left(lol) .... OH MY GOD!!!! (lol)


IM ONLY HALFWAY DONE!??!?! 😭😀πŸ˜₯
(lol yup)
Fuck...Can I take a break? 
(haha nope)
Please? 
(you agreed to do this shit, dude)
But writing a review for this shit is haaaard. 
(Yeah, well, unlike Bungie, we can't get away with releasing something unfinished.)
πŸ˜‚YOOOOO! 
( πŸ˜‚)
πŸ˜‚Nah, but for real, I'm trying to take a break
(πŸ˜‘πŸ˜’Get back to work...)
FINE!

13. Dope N...... ft./ Snoop Dogg - Listen, I'm white....Ya'll know what that shit says..... 

Anyway, part of the big reasons I said to skip that last track is because of how dope(I'd like to say this pun isn't intentional, but he's listening to Wayne, so you never know, it probably rubbed off on him) this song actually is. Listen, despite ALL the shit I'm mad at in this album. One thing I'm not is the sample usage. This uses Xxxplosive by Dr Dre and I'm digging it. 

14. Hittas - I'm REALLY tired yo(shut up and write)...this song is cool, Im not mad at it. Weezy got back to his earlier theme of talking about himself highly and his inspiration on the game and shit. It's cool, I guess. But at this point, I was starting to want to listen to something else. 

15. Took His Time - This is another Aubrey inspired song, to be honest. I don't even have the energy to finish this joke though, this song is cool, but meh. It's about him being God's gift to Earth and all. 

16. Open Safe - Imagine if Lil Wayne grabbed Tyga and sucked the life, skill and style out of him like the redheaded Sanderson Sister did Max, but unfortunately for Tyga, the Sun didn't rise in time to turn Wayne into stone and all his talent was taken, then right after, Wayne went in the booth and recorded a song...this would be that song, bruh. 

Honestly, though, I kinda liked "Taste" so hey...maybe it's a good thing lol.

17. Start This Shit Off Right ft./ Ashanti & Mack Maine - OH NOW we're getting started? GEE THANKS... "working out like obliques" ...nevermind.... 

And Ashanti...it's cool to hear from you again...I missed you, but you aint getting away with missing for years and coming back with this shit, but

18. Demon - He wanted to be back to that Weezy that spazzes and everyone goes OHHHHH BEST RAPPER ALIVE!!! with this one, but at this point it's not working. Not that I hate it, but it's only decent to me. I have to be honest, this shit had a bit of a  Kendrick Lamar feel to it, so I'm not all the way mad at it. What ya'll think? I could be tripping, because I'm in the mood to listen to something else. 

19. Mess - This shit sounds like something people would make fun of Taylor Swift for making. I felt my own muscles begin to atrophy, the longer I listened to it. This is the softest trash on the album so far. Even B Side Aubrey would look at this shit and say "Nah, bruh, this shit's soft." 


20. Dope New Gospel ft./ Nivea - I dont know whether I like this or dislike it to be honest. It's cool...but whatever. Moving on. 

21. Perfect Strangers - There's a song on Joyner Lucas' new album 508-507-2209 called "Just Because"...listen to that instead of this. It's pretty much the same song, just better.

22. Used 2 - I dig this, probably because the Kendrick Lamar vibes are in there again when he starts to spaz towards the end of the verses. Wayne is reminiscing on the old days and how he's grown today...and how things have changed. I can deal with it.

23. Let It All Work Out - I have zero hate for this. There's a Wayne sound I even like and this is it. When he does this shit, I dig it and I'm glad he closed out the album like this. Once again, he uses a great sample; this time Sampha's "Indecision". 

Apparently, this song is actually four years old and it just goes to show you how long this album has been delayed. However, this is my first time hearing it, and I'm glad he still included it after all these years. 

The song is actually about a suicide attempt from when he was younger and not being successful, which is a cool way to close out an album where he mainly talks about the effects and inspiration he's had on everyone. All those years ago, if he was successful killing himself, he wouldn't have been as successful as he is today. 

Damn, something about writing that last sentence really struck a chord with me. I don't know why, but I got teared up and everything. All the hate I give him, I know he's still a human, you know? I just like joking around...but could you imagine knowing you sort of had a second chance at life, knowing you've been through a bunch of bullshit in life...and yet at the end, everything made you the successful person you are today...everything worked out. 

That's how you close out an album, Weezy. 

Let it All Work Out..

Okay, so it was a bumpy ride...I wasn't completely in love with it, but I didn't hate the album. Overall, he still has all the issues I've always had with him, but it didn't stop this from being cool, at the end of the day. 

I give it 3 lighter flicks....out of 5.




.
.
.
.
.
.


{After Credits Scene}


(So, how do you feel?)

Accomplished, but fucking exhausted. I forgot how much work this is...

(I mean...you're not done yet though, right?)

Well, I'm working on my book right now, so I dont know. 

(You know you gotta keep doing this shit now, man. Your fans are gonna be really mad if you just came back for one little review and then disappear for another 2 years.)

This wasn't a little review, dammit! What else could I review though?

(I'm sure there's something out there that people would be interested in.)

You know, our conversation does kind of remind me of a convo on an album I've listened to before, but I just can't think of the name....

(Yo, you're right, I even think we reviewed the artist before...fuck....who was that again?) 

OH SHIT, YEAH!!! I GOT IT!!

(Oh word...who?)

Don't worry about it, but I know what album I'm reviewing next. 

(Oh yeah? Well, let them know what it is...)


(AWWWW YEAH!!! NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!) 

You happy?

(HELL YEAH! So, when are you starting?)

Soon, just have to finish these edits, first.

(NICE!!!) 

Yes, sir!

(Shit I hope he doesn't remind people he's black a million times again...)

Me too, parentheses man....me too....




Eazy Will Return....

No comments:

Post a Comment