Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Game Blood Moon: Year of the Wolf Album Review


Im going to get right into it. I'm sure you dont need an intro for The Game. Before I do, Im just going to say every beat on this album was AWESOME. Let's go.

1. Bigger Than Me 

This is actually one of my favorite Game songs ever. It's easily the hardest I've heard all year, even though it came out last year. I'm one of those guys that has gotten annoyed by Game's name dropping in the past, but here it fits. The way he comes for people's heads in this is similar to Kendrick's verse in Control but harder.

2. F.U.N.

A lovely inspirational song about robbing and killing n*ggas; you gotta love it. No not really, you dont. Honestly, it's hard, but I'm tired hearing the N word on this shit already. I wont let that ruin the song though. That sound clip of the wolf howl at the end has been in pretty much every werewolf thing ever and is lazy/cheesy/cringeworthy though.

3. Really ft./ Yo Gotti, T.I., 2 Chainz and Soulja Boy

N*gga said he gon' kill him, boo boo. *snap snap*

Did I really just read that name? Haven't we gotten to the point we dont even have to acknowledge this fucking hefty bag exists? Damn you Jayceon. Like what the hell were you thinking? Did he beg you for a spot on your CD to be relevant again? I can't picture you having this song recorded minus the hook and as you're listening, you decide "man.....Deandre Way would be the gayest thing I could fill this emptiness with...Totes going to put Deandre Way on the hook here!"
In what way do you find it a wise idea to follow up Bigger Than Me with a Soulja Boy feature, bruh? Im just saying, if Game said "Yeah DeAndre go 'head and fuck these fuck n*ggas" instead of Frank Ocean, the line wouldve still made perfect sense, man. FOHWTBS Game. 

4. Fuck Yo Feelings ft./ Lil Wayne and Chris Brown

If you forget the name of the song by any chance they repeat that shit more times than the N word has been said in the past three songs put together. To make matters worse, not only do you hear Lil Wayne and Chris Brown's voices autotuned....but sure enough Game joins in on the fun too. I was cool until I heard this deep-voiced, smoke 30 packs of backward newports a minute sounding asshole trying to make himself Johnny 5 or something, I had to turn it off.

5. On One ft./ TyDollaSign & King Marie

I don't want to keep on complaining so much and bring back the same song over and over....but wasn't this one of the dudes on the rookie XXL cover Game ripped in Bigger Than Me's music video? Jayceon has to be the biggest pathological, hypocritical, contradicting rapper of all time, next to Drake. Like if Jayceon was Jane...she would be one of those girls that's always posting on facebook about how she can't find a good guy; even though all she dates are guys that treat her like shit because that's the only attention she gets. Honestly this has been the first song I've enjoyed since F.U.N. though so at least we're going somewhere.

6. Married to the Game ft./ French Montana, Sam Hook and Dub.B


This is about if Game was cloned and made into a female and he/she were to fall in love with herself and see French Montana was the priest and Dubb was the jealous best man because he wanted to marry him/her but they end up together anyway because they love each other because theyre the same person and at the end of the day you have to love yourself no matter what anyone else says. This shit is so beautiful bruh...



At least that's what I got out of it.

Nah....all jokes aside I really enjoyed this track...and i always enjoy when someone makes "the game" the love of their life. They officially replaced the n word with "mother fucker" as the overly used word in the album though.

7. The Purge ft./ Stacy Barth

So, I dont get what the love is with the most mediocre thriller movie of all time coming out and now everyone wants to use it in their stuff but regardless of that....this is probably the best way I've witnessed. The song had a great dedication to two people in his life. There are a lot  of deep situations being discussed in this song, past and present. Some of the things I dont quite agree with but I understand where his frustration is coming from. Stacy Barth did very well as a feature.

8. Trouble On My Mind ft./ Dub.B, Jake and Pappa

Now Blood Moon: Year of the Wolf was meant to show off the talents of Game's crew....and here it is the most evident. I have to say Dubb is probably my favorite so far; his voice and emotion kind of reminds me of Em in a way...dont get me wrong, he's nowhere near him but the way he expresses himself is surely close.

9. Cellphone ft./ Dub.B

This is a really good song and continuing with the praise of Dub.B, I enjoyed him once again, this time he sounded more like a ScHoolboy Q. But the skits have officially gotten on my nerves....I dont want to hear that dumb shit. They couldve connected it to the song in a much more tasteful way, no argument needed; the song DESERVED something better than that.

10. Best Head Over ft./ Tyga and Eric Bellinger

 Am I supposed to want some head from this chick after she was a big enough hoe to suck a canine off? Nah...FOH....take Tyga and Meek Mill on helium with you.

11. Or Nah ft./ Too Short, Problem, AV and Eric Bellinger 

I dont want to like this song...but I cant help it....something about it makes me enjoy it. I have nothing to say otherwise....but it kind of sounds like something you'd hear during the 80's.

12. Take That ft./ Tyga again? and Pharoah Prophet

Tyga isnt as irrelevant as Soulja Boy but why is this dude on two songs? I'd expect to hear this shit from a XXL Cover member but not The Game...shit was boring.

13. Food For My Stomache ft./ Dub.B and Skeme 

If this album achieved anything, it actually did make me want to check out Dub.B and Skeme. I wish more of the songs sounded like this...probably my favorite song on the album thus far. This time Dub kind of uses a Kendrick Lamar flow...but he goes in. I mean the first bar of the song was a little suspect "i sink my teeth because these niggas is sweet"


Other than that it was hard to complain. 

14. Hit Em Hard ft./ Bobby Shmurda, Skeme and Freddy Gibbs

Just put this on and...

let me...



Once again I fuck with this as a song to go to the gym and get pumped to....or just get hype to in general for anything.

15. Black On Black ft./ Jeezy and Kevin Gates

Yo....Jayceon got Jeezy???? Oh shit....an actual tight rapper that I believe when they speak? Bruh....two of them? Oh shit!!!! This is tight! Thank you Game for finishing this album better than it was in the middle.

16. Bloody Moon

Like I said, a great way to end the album. This was about how he's alone and as the outro it didnt stay past its welcome. You know??? He didnt over-saturate you with man tears like Jermaine Eeyore Cole or Drippy Drake would. 

I didnt have the bonus tracks for my copy...so I obviously cant throw my opinion out there. Anyway, this is just the first to three reviews I have coming in the next few days. As far as this goes, my final thoughts are that it isn't that bad but no more than average. I really hope that Documentary 2 is amazing. It needs to be if it's going to be the successor to one of the best debut rap albums of all time.

I give it a 5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment